Tap the green icons in the corner of the watch screen. One green watch icon, you are watch only. Tap and add a green phone icon and you broadcast between them.
Sync Your Settings Changes
New to the gear section is the option to Sync up the settings on your phone with the settings on your watch. Most of the time the sync is done silently in the back end, but there are times when you’ve customized your workout list, heart rate zones or other settings and you want to push the updates. Tap the Gear > Sync and presto, up to date.
Requirements for Apple Watch Stand-alone:
- For effortless Heart Rate tracking. Apple Watch Series 1 or above. (if phone is nearby, Series 1 will track GPS from the phone)
- For effortless Heart Rate + GPS tracking. Apple Watch Series 2 or above must be paired with your Apple iPhone.
- The Apple Watch must be running WatchOS 4.0 or higher. iPhone must be on iOS 10+.
- You must have all appropriate Apple Health Heart Rate permissions.
- You must have an upgrade for the account to use the heart rate features in Apple Watch in Stand-alone mode.
Current Users – NOTE: ON INITIAL OVERLAY INSTALL YOU SHOULD GET AN EXTRA POPUP REQUESTING EXPANDED PERMISSIONS ON APPLE HEALTH
In order to run a stand alone workout on the watch, a new permission must be enabled from Apple Health, called Workout Routes. There should be a popup that comes up, please enable there. If for some reason it does not show, open Apple Health and tap Sources, iCardio, and enable the permission there.
After it is enabled, we need to make sure it is registered not just with the phone, but also on the watch. One way to make sure this happens is to put the watch in “tethered” mode, then tap the quick start or the gear icon – you will get a popup if they aren’t communicating, tapping Retry should get the link going if it is available.That’s the best method, if that doesn’t trigger a sync then maybe hard close the app on the watch and re-open. See more on Apple Watch Troubleshooting.
If a workout you completed on the watch in stand-alone mode doesn’t sync to the phone automatically (which it should), tap Menu > Support > Synchronization > Import Apple Health Workouts, you should see a list of all your workouts that are in Apple Health that originated from the app. Tap the ones that are missing and tap Import.