Now that you’ve Installed the Apple Watch Companion App and linked up Apple Health, you should be great to go on any kind of adventure with your Fitdigits app.
However, sometimes trouble does arise, even on the best of adventures. What follows are different issues and how to address them if you do come across them.
No Heart Rate Connected in the app
- Make sure that Apple Health is linked and all share permissions granted. You might even disable and re-enable the linking just to be sure.
- Make sure you have the Apple Watch paired and selected as your active heart rate monitor on your app on the iPhone.
- Make sure you aren’t in Apple Watch Stand Alone mode if you want to view heart rate on your iPhone.
- Make sure you have the Fitdigits Apple Watch Companion App installed
- Make sure Workout Power Saving Mode is turned OFF:
- Open the Apple “Watch” app
- Tap General
- Scroll down, make sure Workout Power Saving Mode is turned OFF
Apple Watch Screen Cut Off
If you see your Apple Watch and the watch face looks like it has been cut off at the top, our apologies. We’ve researched it quite a bit and have only found others who experience the same with their apps. It is an easily reproducible situation – just force close watch app, fire up a workout from the phone (which will have the phone start the watch app fresh) and you have a screen cut off at the top.
General consensus currently attributes this to a bug in the WatchOS we hope they will fix soon, unfortunately there is no solution yet but there is a fix:
- Hard Close / Force Close the Apple Watch application by holding the power button and then holding in the crown.
- Open the watch app / start a workout from the watch, before trying to start a workout from phone > watch.
- Once you see the Cancel button on the watch home screen, you should be good. You can then cancel on the watch if you want and use phone or watch.
Apple Watch Stand Alone Issues
If your app is stopping after a very brief period of time, or failing to transfer workouts on a regular basis, perform these steps on the watch:
- Slide up the widget tray, and enable airplane mode.
- Wait a moment, then disable airplane mode
- Close the drawer and open the app list.
- If iCardio starts reinstalling for no reason, then the installation is bad. In that case see Re-Install the Apple Watch Companion App below. You can tell it is re-installing if it looks like it is reloading.
If your app is telling you that the watch is currently in Stand Alone mode, and won’t launch an activity on the phone, there is a flag that somehow wasn’t cleared on the watch / phone. To clear the flag:
- Open the Apple Watch companion app
- Tap the green icons on the home screen in the lower right until only the green watch shows, putting it in stand alone mode.
- Tap the icon on the home screen to start an activity, then tap Cancel.
- Tap the green icon in the lower right to put it back in tethered mode. You should be good to go from here.
Apple Watch / iPhone Communication Issues
If you are having trouble getting an activity to start on your iPhone when starting from your Apple Watch, or from the Watch from the iPhone, the easiest and most basic thing is to try launching an activity from the other device and then tapping Cancel.
- Open the iPhone app
- Tap the Quickstart play icon
- Tap Cancel
- Tap Quickstart play icon again
Simply tapping play / cancel a time or so on the watch and phone has been shown very effecting in resetting communicating after loss of connection.
If you don’t see a Cancel button show on the watch screen under the workout type, you may need to Hard Close the watch app.
Hard Close the Watch App
- Make sure the app you want to hard close is the one running in the foreground.
- Push and hold the bottom button on the right of the watch until the power off screen appears.
- Push and hold the digital crown button. You will see it go back to the main apps screen, that hard closes the watch app.
Ping the Phone from the Watch
- Go to the home screen on the watch (not the main apps, but the main watch face)
- 2. Swipe up from the bottom bezel to get the Watch equivalent of the phone controls
- The Ping phone is the lower left button with the phone icon. Tap that and it will ping on the phone (a good way to find your phone too!)
Hard Close the iPhone App
Still having trouble? Hard close the app on the phone and re-open
Reboot the Watch and iPhone
Sometimes everything just needs a good reboot to reset all bluetooth settings and other communication options.
- Watch: Push and hold the bottom button on the right of the watch until the power off screen appears. Slide the power off indicator. Hold the bottom button on the watch to turn the Watch backk on.
- iPhone: See here on how to reboot the different iPhone devices
Re-Install the Apple Watch Companion App
- Open the Apple “Watch” app
- Scroll down to the Apps section and tap on your app name (iCardio, iBiker, iRunner)
- Turn the Show on Apple Watch switch to off, it will uninstall (wait…).
- Once uninstalled, tap it on to install it again.
- If it doesn’t show, see Troubleshooting Installing the Companion App